American Heart Month
Following are some of the main symptoms of a heart attack and some ways that you can fight heart disease.
Some major symptoms of a heart attack are:
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or back
- Feeling faint or light-headed
- Chest pain
- Pain in arms and/or shoulders
- Shortness of breath
Following are steps to prevent or help to fight heart disease:
- Eat healthy. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables—You should have about 5 servings a day. Also, eat foods high in fiber and low in cholesterol and saturated fats. You can also reduce your blood pressure by reducing salt intake.
- Keep a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese can increase your risk for heart disease.
- Exercise. This can help you to lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol levels. It is recommended for you to exercise about 30 minutes, at least, a day.
- Don’t smoke. Cigarette smoking increases your risk for heart disease.
- Limit alcohol. It is suggested that men should only have two drinks a day and women can only have one.
- Take prescribed medicines. Take all medications that you are given to regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, and other health concerns.
If you are fighting heart disease, please know that you can do these steps and the best time to start is now! Good luck and have a heart healthy month!