There are many things to consider when planning your wedding. So it is important not to overlook anything or worse – find out the hard way that you hired the wrong people. One of the teams that can make or break the perfect event is the catering company. But, how can you hire a wedding caterer you can depend on and be certain the items served are everything you expect them to be?
Talking to other brides to find out which wedding caterer they recommend is great. However, if you already know what questions to ask, and what you are looking for you can save time- and often money.
Questions for a Potential Wedding Caterer
Perhaps the most important aspect of choosing a wedding caterer is asking the right questions – and knowing what you want in the answers given. Those answers will vary depending on your needs, so the more you are decided about what you want for your wedding the better your interview process.
1. Do you have my day available?
If they don’t, then move to the next wedding caterer on your list.
2. Can they create a menu based on your theme?
If you are planning a wedding where the theme needs to carry through to the reception – say a Harry Potter theme where butterbeer-flavored food is a must- then you will need to ensure your wedding caterer can accomplish this.
3. Are you a licensed caterer?
If the answer is no, move on to someone else.
4. What about a liquor license?
If you plan on having alcohol at your reception, then this is a must. You will also want to find out how drinks are charged for- i.e. based on a per drink, or per person. Also, check with your venue as they may allow you to bring your own alcohol or make you use their own liquor.
5. Can I talk to other brides?
A reputable caterer will be happy to let you check their references.
6. Have you ever catered an event at my chosen venue?
While this is not a deal-breaker, when a caterer is familiar with a particular venue they will have a better idea of what to do and expect.
7. Do you offer tastings prior to the event?
After all, you do want to know what you will be serving.
8. Can you create custom foods and can you accommodate food allergies?
This can be a huge factor in ensuring your guests enjoy the reception.
9. Is there a separate charge for children?
Many wedding caterers have a lower price for children, so be sure to ask!
10. When do you need menu selection completed by?
This will help you determine your RSVP date.
11. Do you provide the servers, tableware, chairs and any other elements for the reception?
Many times, a full service provides all of this. If you want to be able to not think about anything but enjoying the reception, this is the way to go.
12. Can the food be presented to match your theme?
Not a must, but definitely worth asking, especially if you have a particular look in mind.
13. What fees (cancellation, servers, food costs, etc.) are included in the price? What is the payment policy?
Be sure you understand exactly what you are paying for.
14. Can the wedding caterer also provide the wedding cake?
Perhaps not a deal-breaker, but it definitely can save you time to have all food items from one place.
Hiring a wedding caterer doesn’t have to be an overwhelming process. By using these tips, you can have the perfect caterer for your special day. Still have questions? Be sure to talk to one of our event planners at Gala Event Facility. We would love to help plan your special day!